Friday, August 22, 2008

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

This week conversation has swirled around the topic of respect. What exactly does it mean to be respectful of people? Why do people feel respected (or not)? My conclusions are this: At the beginning of the week, I would have said that there are two types of people in the world, those who really try to respect all others, and those who don't. I put myself in the "trying" side, I think, but I do know that there are people out in this world that I don't respect. So then is it a spectrum? An amount on a scale from 1 to 100? My math brain always tries to quantify things. Right or wrong? Yes or No? True or False? Should we have to earn respect, or is it something that we deserve as human beings? I guess the interesting knowledge for me is that me not respecting someone because they decided to look at the world differently than I do puts me further down on the spectrum, and I had always been more comfortable with the "black and white" option of you do or you don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there is a spectrum that i believe we all move around on any day - and then there's that "respecting the dignity of every human being" part of the baptismal covenant... :)