Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What Decade is This Anyway?

I'm not saying I agree with her philosophies (she's pro-life, pro-gun, pro hunting, pro-who knows what else because before last week I had never heard of her....) but this is not the 1950's. Haven't we moved beyond the idea that a mother can't be a good mother with a big job? It is insane to me that these questions are even coming up. And even more so that they are being brought up by those people that I have seen as champions for equal-work-equal-pay idealism.

Her opponent, Joe Biden, when asked about her, said she was "good looking." REALLY?!?!? That's what he could come up with? Nothing about her politics? But what do you expect from a guy who's presidential race came to a grinding halt when he said that Obama was "articulate and bright and clean." He's certainly not PC by any stretch of the imagination. And he was a single father for sometime with small children, so he can't really be the one to throw stones. He had it all, career and children.

So all in all, in a world where I was really excited to know that I will see either an African-American or a woman in one of the top two spots in the nation, where there will be some kind of barrier broken for sure, I couldn't be more disappointed in the world's response to her as an individual. I am excited to see a woman on the ticket. We all should be. No matter what her party. Congratulations Sarah!

2 comments:

Curly Girl said...

Amen!

It's bad enough with all of the crazy news media, do we have to hear it from other politicians as well?!?!

Your right, black, white, male, female - this election is one for the history books.

Mrs. Swizzle said...

I just found it interesting, and it seemed like the point of my fellow liberals bringing up motherhood, was that this party of "women should be mothers and sex outside of marriage will send you to hell" are the ones crying sexism.

When asked about her pregnant teenager, I heard a republican say, "It just shows you everyone is human. It's just the times we live in." Huh? Suddenly when it comes to one of their candidates, everyone is human. The day before, they'd have had some not nice words to say about any other 17 yr old in a similar situation.

This is an election that I feel more strongly about than I have in the recent past and I'm annoyed by the crap from both sides that have nothing to do with the issues.

Well, I was amazed that that "retarded cowboy fella" even got elected as governor, much less president.