Sunday, February 15, 2009

Wondering.....

When I taught Sunday School to 4 & 5 year olds (oh so long ago, Elastigirl's Teen was in my class) we used a technique I call "wondering. " It is one of my favorite things to start discussions now. My mom and I often say, "I wonder what..." because she is a fan of the technique as well. You get some great answers from it.

For example, when I asked, "I wonder how the shepherds felt when they saw the angels?" I was thinking that they would say, "Happy" (about 90% of the 4 & 5 year olds gave that answer for all wondering questions, then they would come up with something else while I waited) or "Scared" (which is how I think I would feel if I saw an angel, after all, the first thing an angel usually says is, "Do not be afraid.") I remember The Teen's answer like it was yesterday. He said, "I think they said, 'Hallelujah!'" and threw his hands up in the air. Always thinking, that one.

So anyway, I have so many things that I have been wondering about lately, I thought it might be good to write them down.

  • I wonder what God's plan is for me

  • I wonder why it seems like that plan includes me being alone

  • I wonder if I will be alone for the rest of my life

  • I wonder what success means to me now

  • I wonder if it was a good decision to not immediately go back into the workforce

  • I wonder how my new career will shape up over the next 5 years

  • I wonder if I will feel successful in 5 years

  • I wonder what life will be like once I have reached my weight goal

  • I wonder what it will be like to wear a size 8 (or if that is the size I will be, cause I'm just guessing here)

That's just the tip of the iceberg..... What are you wondering about right now?



3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Thanks for asking. I'm actually wondering what God is all about. I seem to be having my once-every-20-years crisis of faith...

I believe I will employ the wondering technique for a while, because trying to answer the questions is only making me aggravated.

You helped me today!!!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

And I am wondering how I can think I am in such a good place and then my mom come around and tell me that I am not.

lol..it was a rough weekend.

I think you are beautiful now.

Anonymous said...

i wonder why you are sooo far away now - i miss you