Sunday, November 30, 2008

"Christmas is Coming"

Today was the first Sunday in Advent, tomorrow is December 1st, and its beginning to feel like Christmas. Not weatherwise, of course, because when you live in a desert, winter is mostly 75 degrees and sunny, which is not very traditional Christmas weather to me.

So I've been listening to Christmas music in the car (there is a radio station that has been playing it since early November, but I have not listened mostly on principle - there is something wrong with Christmas carols before Thanksgiving!) which always helps me get in the mood. I tend to sing out loud whenever I hear any Christmas music (which was kind of embarrassing at the big orange box today, when I was singing Feliz Navidad - "I want to wish you a Merry Christmas" - when I walked up to one of the cashiers I work with). Ah well.

Anyway, I'm getting in the mood. And I am wondering what Christmas music really makes it feel like Christmas for everyone else. Mine is all of the album from "To Wish You a Merry Christmas" by Harry Belefonte. My mom loves this album, and I associate it with the Christmas season - playing it on the day after Thanksgiving, and then again when we were decorating the Christmas Tree, and again on Christmas Day.
So what about you? Which song do you have to hear in order to be ready to celebrate Christmas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Miss Smarty Pants!


Isn't this always the most magical time of the year? You got me thinking now of which song does it for me to get in the Chirstmas mood. Good question. I immediately went back many years to a memorable time when getting a Whirly Bird helicopter toy made my Chirstmas (so much so I asked Santa for the exact same toy next year and by golly - I got it again.) As the adults were listening to Bing's White Christmas and Nat King Cole's Chestnusts Roasting on an Open Fire, I was fast at learning the lyrics of the Burgermeister Meisterburger and Winter Warlock songs - Claymation at its finest I might add. Nice to see these shows are still popular because I was around 5 years old when they first came out. All it took was a yo-yo to soften that old crusty heart of the Burgermeister. Belefonte is great and I think we also had that album. My mom's favorite was Engelbert Humperdinck's Christmas songs, but I am pretty sure she mainly had a crush on him.



However, I am sure you were refering to the present day, and as we get older, sometimes it takes a little more work to feel the same wonder as when we were kids, prefering to see it in the children around us today. It takes me a little longer every year to get into the spirit, but it's been a good year so I may just upgrade that little ole Charley Brown tree I had last year. In reverse order, the three songs that nearly instantly get me going are:

#3 - "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

#2 - "Hark The Herald Angels Sing"

#1 - "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year"



So that you feel quite normal for singing in front of your co-worker, I once sang the Winter Worlock song in front of my staff (albeit 20 years ago). It was a group of telemarketing sales people and it was a stressful time so I thought I'd make them laugh. They thought I was in idiot, but I know deep down inside, it made their day.



Good hunting for happiness and may it never elude you. I ran across this yesterday on an investor web site of all places and thought of you:



Happiness is like a butterfly;

the more you chas it,

the more it will elude you,

but if you turn your attention

to other things, it will

come and sit softly

on your shoulder...

(Thoreau)



May there be many butterflies in your future.


Jim

Anonymous said...

o come o come emmanuel -
the angel gabriel to mary came
people look east
o holy night
away in a manger (english tune)

i could go on & on but then i would be tempted to add hymn numbers and once again prove my nerdiness

Anonymous said...

posting the thsnkful list