Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Strategery

One of the things that I help organizations with is Strategic Planning. I am actually pretty good at it. I started doing it as a voluntary thing several years ago at my last church, and then again here at my new church. And as of late organizations are actually paying me for my advice. And are happy with the result.

Ironically, though, my own life has seemed a bit out of control and misdirected lately. In the past 4 years, I left a position as VP of one of the largest banks in the world to work for a non-profit. It was less money, but I thought I could make a difference in the world. While there I learned that I had really misjudged my "mentor" and one year later I was laid off by that person. (In my own defense, I had a really good friend that I respect very much have the EXACT same thing happen this year with the EXACT same woman. Seriously. One year and out.) Anyway, after so many years of work and being good at saving money, I was in a position to not work, so I didn't. I was quite disgusted with the whole thing. I sold my house and moved back "home" - my parents were out of the country and I stayed at their place, helped take care of my grandmother and just did what I wanted. Started working part time at a place that offered benefits for part time employees (a rarity in this day and age), did some volunteer work, and until my grandmother passed, was quite sure that I was doing what I should be. I do not regret it one bit.

Another year goes by and I start looking for work in the fields I have worked in during my career life. I mean it really is time, because I'm now making one tenth of what I used to make at the big bank, and I am missing the lifestyle. Unfortunately, banks don't seem to want me because I left banking, and non-profits don't want me because I didn't work in that field long enough. And in the meantime, I find out that as much as I love the strategic work of non-profits, the day to day is often not managed well, and I haven't had much luck with some of the people I've worked with in that area. What's a girl to do?

So today I decided to make a strategic plan for ME. It will take a while, and I don't think it will be easy, but I need to get my life back into focus. And for the first time in a long time, I feel a little more at peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have greatly admired your sense of self as you have gone through the last few years - you have great instincts and I know you will make a plan that is right for you.

Mrs. Swizzle said...

Good for you! I think you're on your way to getting everything figured out.

I can barely strategize for the day ahead of me.